Updated: Apr 11, 2020
Recipe Updated: April 11, 2020
It's been a while since I've posted a recipe on here (sorry!) and I've even had this one ready to go for more than a few months.. *face palm* Nonetheless! You can never go wrong with a classic banana bread. It's great on its own, covered with butter, apple butter, cacoa butter, made into french toast.. You name it! It's one of my favourite things to bake, especially because I can eat it without any discomfort, and it's pretty simple!
To start, I combine all the dry ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk to remove any clumps. Then I combine all the wet ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. OR if you're lazy like me, you can mash your bananas in your measuring cup and add them directly to your dry ingredients, eliminating an extra bowl to clean. If you're using gelatin eggs, you make these last and incorporate them into the wet ingredients immediately.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet in increments to prevent any clumping. Once fully combined, the batter will really thicken up. Don't worry! This is normal. Remember, coconut flour is SUPER absorbent!
Be sure to grease your baking pan well. I usually take the solid coconut oil (or ghee) in my fingers and rub it on that way. No need to flour it after. Then just add the batter, push it to the corners and smooth it over with the spatula.
You also have the option of making them into muffins! This recipe will yield about 9 regular sized muffins. Line your tin with muffin papers, fill each completely and evenly and bake for ~25 minutes.
The loaf usually takes around 50 minutes to bake, but may vary depending on your oven and baking tin. Be sure to let it cool for about 10 minutes before you turn it out. This helps the loaf to stabilize and it won't split on you. If you're using gelatin eggs, it is especially important let it cool completely so it can set, or it will be gooey. Then enjoy!
Servings: One loaf (8 or 10 slices depending on thickness)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Small mixing bowl (optional)
Medium mixing bowl
Measuring cups & spoons
Fork (or tool of choice for mashing banana)
~5 ½" x 8 ½" loaf pan
Small saucepan (for gelatin eggs)
Ingredients (organic, non-gmo):
1 ½ cups banana, ripe and mashed (~3)
¼ cup coconut oil or grass-fed ghee (if you can tolerate)*, melted
¼ cup honey, raw (omit for Whole30 & Vegan)
⅛ cup coconut milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
2 eggs (gelatin eggs for AIP & Vegan**)
½ tsp vanilla extract (alcohol free)
½ cup coconut flour
½ cup cassava flour
1 ½ tsp baking soda (aluminum free!)
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt*
*If using salted ghee/butter, omit the salt
**1 tbsp gelatin powder (NOT collagen) to 3 tbsp water for each egg substitute
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F
2. Add all dry ingredients to small bowl, and whisk to incorporate and remove any lumps.
3. Mix all wet ingredients together in medium bowl. If using gelatin eggs, see below.
4. Add dry ingredients in small increments to the wet ingredients. Stir until mixed completely.
5. Add batter to well-greased loaf pan, and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
6. Cool for at least 10 minutes and turn out. If using gelatin eggs, let it cool completely to set.
For Gelatin Eggs
1. Sprinkle 2 tbsp gelatin in 6 tbsp of filtered water in small saucepan. Be sure to sprinkle it as evenly as possible, and whisk to remove any clumps.
2. Once the gelatin is saturated, let it sit for a minute or two. Then heat on medium low to completely melt the gelatin.
3. Whisk continually until completely melted and frothy.
4. Add to batter immediately.
1-4. See above instructions for bread.
5. Fill 9 regular muffin tins, lined with muffin papers, completely and evenly.
6. Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Muffins will be firm to the touch and toothpick will come out clean when they are ready.
Nutrition Facts (for a 10 slice loaf using eggs):
Calories 192kcal Fat 8g Cholesterol 37mg Sodium 333mg Potassium 185mg
Total Carbohydrates 29g Fiber 4g Sugar 12g Protein 3g Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 6% Calcium 2% Iron 6%